Saturday, October 24, 2009

I know...

I have spent the past couple of days attending Time Out For Women. This years theme is Sweet Assurance...
Each speaker testified of things "they" knew. Knowledge that helped them as they strive for a closer relationship with our Father.
On Wednesday afternoon my heart stopped beating for a moment. As I opened the blinds along the kitchen wall our back yard came into full view. As if almost over night my trees leaves had changed color. If I were to choose my favorite season based on color I would pick fall. I feel the most peace with burnt orange and Blacks, Browns and ambers. But, is Fall really here? If Fall is here then Winter is creeping around the bend.
Missouri winters are hard on my soul. The bitter cold and snow less days seem to drag on for what seems like years.
{We have a rule here in the RitterB home... A rule made by me... We are to pick a season and ONE season only to complain. For example: One can not whine about how HOT they are at the Zoo on a sunny summer day and Cry about the extreme FRIDGED air in the dead of winter. Yes, it is uncomfortable to be hot and sweaty. Yes, it is uncomfortable to be freezing your bum off... But I dont want to hear about both... SO PICK YOUR SEASON AND COMPLAIN AWAY! Last Wednesday my SEASON TO COMPLAIN officially started! I HATE THAT WINTER IS ON IT'S WAY!!!}
I think maybe our Father knows the dread I feel with the cold. I think maybe he is helping me ease into the idea this year. This year our tree in the backyard is particularly beautiful. Beautiful enough to make my heart stop for just a moment and marvel at His creation. While taking a few pictures I could not help but think that in a couple of weeks my tree will be stripped of all it's leaves. It will be left bare.
I really enjoyed my flower in my faith pot this year. It reminded me of my sister, Sharmayn, purple always does that. I noticed as I came back to the house that my flower was still in bloom. Yet, was dying. The stems had started turning brown and no longer held tight to the tiny buds it worked so hard to produce. Like it or not... Winter is on it's way. *sigh*
We were asked several times today to jot down some things "I KNOW." I thought of my purple flowers and my tree full of Burnt Orange, Amber and Browns.
[I know each year Winter will come. She will stay for a while. But, I KNOW that the sun will shine and the warmth will come again.]

I am most grateful for the lessons I have been taught over the past couple of days. I'm a lucky girl you know. My Marc-a-Roni held down the fort quite nicely. He is good like that to me. [I KNOW I have him for Eternity... ]

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Whew...glad your rule is not a rule at my house!! Missouri is just misery in almost every season so I say complain away.
I'm still too tired to say what I know...but I'm glad to know that you know winter doesn't last forever. Only half the year!
See you later...

Shauna said...

Thanks for that! I toooo DREAD winter! But your right it doesn't last forever....just seems like it does:)

Snarky Belle said...

Beautiful post. Love you!

Nana said...

Heyyyy, I am glad I don't have the long grey, dreary, long Utah winter.

Kelli said...

I hate winter too, that's why the move to AZ. However, now there's the horrid summers. It won't last forever...You can do it :). I miss the beautiful falls. Love ya.

Tiffany said...

MMMmm, not sure which is worse here..winter or summer. :) I love reading your blog. And I saw Zion at church and she is the cutest thing I have EVER seen!