Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A man taught to "FISH"

There is an old proverb... "You give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. You teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime." Today I feel that I have been taught to "fish". I had always wanted to learn how to can apples. My friend Amber has the "know how" of canning apples. She also has all the "Cowboy/Farmer" contacts. After ordering 3 bushels of apples we got to work! It was such a fun day. It was a lot of hard work but the payoff is amazing! We made apple pie filling and applesauce! They both taste out of this world. We have only canned 1 1/2 of my bushels. I can not believe how many jars I was able to fill. I can not wait to fill the rest and go back for more apples. Amber was so kind to no only teach me how to can the apples but to work beside me as well. She opened her kitchen and her day to me. I will ever be grateful for this kind act. I feel that today I learned a skill that is almost a lost art.









3 comments:

Sam Ransom said...

Looks like a blast! Call me next time. I would love to learn how to do the pie filling!

Rob the Blog Ninja said...

I prefer to be on the give a man a fish side of the equation. Fishing is time consuming. Give me a call when you make some pie! Yummah apple pie a la mode is my favorite

Amber said...

We still have more apples...And we can get more...When are we doing this again? I slept like a baby last night! I was exhausted!