Monday, November 24, 2008

Small Trinket of Treasure

I was showing the video clip of Grandma Great to my father... She is his mother. I commented how endearing her accent was..."Don't your mama ever gives you drinks of wata?!?" I have heard her talk with this accent from the time I was small. What I did not know was she mimicking her parents. They were both immigrants. Her mother from Italy. Her father from Sweden. Both came to America when they were young adults. My great grandfather never joined the Mormon church. My great grandmother was tracked out by Stake Missionaries in Lyman. Her joining the church resulted in her strong Roman Catholic family dis-owning her. Great Grandma Youngberg came from a very wealthy family. She was not given any inheritance. Tonight I have gained a great respect for her. How grateful I am to her for her sacrifice.

No comments: